Updated: 6 days ago
Updated 2.21.2021 - (Five Steps Now Has an Added and Powerful Sixth Step Possibility)
When I was a child, I would come slowly to post-slumber consciousness with a cozy, warm, sleepy feeling and either get up slowly or roll over and go back to sleep if possible. Pretty much able to drop off to slumber land at a whim.
Today for many of us, it is a different story altogether! We may wake up with:
- immediate feeling of stress or worry
- grabbing for phone to check the time, but then get sucked in to checking everything else too:)
- needs of children
- thoughts that immediately go to to do list or outside state of things
- thoughts of past or future
So, let's do this differently! No tech yet if possible - alarm clock instead of your phone - with a nice ring tone;). You can avoid the phone notification and social media/email sink hole this way.
When we wake up with these 5 steps (now plus one), it sets a nervous system and thought pattern tone that can carry forward to the day, and certainly affect our care for self and interactions with others. These now six steps move you immediately into the present moment and a positivity base to build your day from:
1. Smile - Immediately smile and keep smiling as you stretch like a cat. When you do this, your brain gets a shot of some really good and natural positive chemicals and your body does too. Smile even if you don't feel like it. There is science behind the smile, even if it not real, that can move you towards a real smile!
2. Breathe - As we teach in our core courses, paying attention to breath for just a bit can help quiet the mind that may go right to anxious thoughts. Use our techniques!
3. Nature - Have nature close at hand. if you have a plant or nature picture that you love in your room, look right at it as you breathe in and out. Look out your window if the natural world is accessible. The calming and positive effects of nature connection are astounding.
4. Gratitude - Perhaps think about the blessing of a new day! Pull in any kind of gratitude for what is good in your life, whether it be that your hands are working great, that your family is healthy, that you have food for breakfast, a job to go to, something you are looking forward too - many choices that may not be the obvious ones.
5. Imagine and Intend - Shift from that state of gratitude to thoughts or a mental picture of your day going well! A positive picture going in is nothing but good vibes and intention setting.
6. HeartMath Quick Coherence - this is the added 6th step. Aimee and I have been starting the day with HeartMath before classes begin. Using it early in the day has been a bit of a game changer. Princeton is one of a couple institutions leading the way in HeartMath research. HeartMath technique has us using the intelligence and command center capabilities of the Heart to bring in calm, to level and preserve energy AND move us towards a place of taking benevolent energy and thoughts and focusing them outward, to our families, friends, communities the world. This, for me, is the icing on the "start the day right" cake. What we have noticed is that this 6th step lowers our ego tendencies and self focused anxieties. Starting the day with inward calm and then outward care and good will is an amazing, wonderful, powerful shift. This truly effects my day, the intent of kindness and love, and how I treat others. More self care but less self focus. (stay tuned to blogs for more on HeartMath)
NOW rise from bed with a shifted perception and feeling! The SIX steps can take anywhere from 2 to 45 minutes (depending on the length of your 6th step = HeartMath can be done in two minutes or less). After the first five, a mindful meditation, HeartMath exercise, or yoga is a great next (6th) step. We can teach you those. But in the meantime, try the five steps and think on the 6th. Try every day for a week. What changes for you?
Like our blog, share our blog!:)
Next HeartMath "Living from the Heart" Programs start in May.
"Spring PART Plus (Positivity, Relaxation and Resilience Training)"
This is the beginning of the journey.
Our 9 week signature, foundational breatheIN2IT Course is grounded in the science backed "Positivity and Relaxation Training (PART)" Curriculum from Benson Henry Institute/Mass General Hospital and Harvard Medical School research and professorial contribution. BreatheIN2IT additions, signature support e-mail/text communication throughout the course, and community, all serve to enhance the curriculum and a student's ability to bring the tools and techniques profoundly forward to reframe their lives.
Registration now open for this nine session Course starting in March. Choose Tuesday 10AM ET or Wednesday evening,7PM ET.
"Amazing Benefits of Nature Connection: A Modern Imperative"
Whether you are a seasoned outdoors person or wanting to learn ways to harness the benefits of
coming back to the place where we spent 99.9% of our evolutionary time, this Course will expand your thoughts on nature, enlighten you on the science backed benefits of re-connection and why they are a modern imperative for well-being and excite you about the "more than human world" even more or for the first time. Learn how to enhance and multiply the benefits.
Registration now open for this six session Course starting second week of March. Choose Sunday or Wednesday evening, 7PM ET.